DUO PLAST AG
Funded concept for climate neutrality
DUO PLAST AG has set out on the ambitious path to climate neutrality. ÖKOTEC is developing a transformation concept, including a roadmap of measures for a climate-friendly production for the stretch film manufacturer. The funding program of the same name “transformation concept” of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Climate Protection (BMWK) supports the concept development with 50 percent of the investment costs.
DUO PLAST AG produces stretch films that are used in the industrial and agricultural sectors, as well as for food packaging. As part of its sustainability strategy, the company is striving for climate neutrality and was looking for an experienced partner with technical and methodological know-how to develop a government-funded “transformation concept”*.
The Solution and Implementation
- Stakeholder and materiality analysis
- Greenhouse gas balance according to Greenhouse Gas Protocol (Scope 1-3)
- Agreement of a reduction target of at least 40% by 2025
- Analysis of the current status and identification of avoidance and reduction potentials for the target state, including Sankey representations
- Concrete action plan and overall roadmap describing steps required from current state to target state (Scope 1+2)
- Accompaniment of the application for funding and the verification at the project executing agency
Details of the action plan
- 17 measures were identified and evaluated as part of the transformation concept: Seven measures relate to the substitution of natural gas as an energy source,10 measures lead to an increase in efficiency or waste heat utilization
- The core measures of the transformation to climate neutrality (Scope 1+2) are as follows:
- Purchase of green electricity
- Installation of photovoltaic systems in Sünna and Lauterbach for own power generation
- Implementation of the refrigeration concept already developed (Flagship project for CO2 savings in industry)
- Identification of the amount of residual emissions that cannot be avoided or reduced and are to be neutralized by means of compensation.
Susanne Schmidt Almeida