Scientists at Darmstadt Technical University, together with ÖKOTEC and partners from industry, are investigating how CO2-neutral production can work in the research project ETA model factory with artificial intelligence.
R&D for energy efficiency
Research and development
We are actively engaged in the further development of energy efficiency as part of R&D projects undertaken in collaboration with scientific institutions and industry partners. The experience, dedication, and creativity of ÖKOTEC employees are key factors for the success of such projects. Our mission is to equip companies with advanced digital solutions that enable flexible energy management as well as greater ecological and economic efficiency.
The R&D origins of EnEffCo®
Our proprietary EnEffCo® software represents the outcome of numerous R&D projects, and is now one of the best energy-efficiency monitoring and management solutions commercially available. EnEffCo® is a highly adaptable solution that can be used for a variety of applications, including energy system monitoring, ISO 50001 standard implementation, and flexible energy management (e.g. including EV charging).
Head of EnEffCo® Research & Development
“At ÖKOTEC I have the opportunity to develop and improve new solutions over time within the scope of a multidisciplinary team – as well as to assess their effectiveness in industry applications.“
Heat energy meets AI
As part of the Food Pinch R&D project, which is being undertaken in collaboration with RWTH Aachen University, ÖKOTEC is harnessing artificial intelligence (AI) to manage heat sources and sinks in the food industry, thus reducing energy consumption.
The four-year R&D project is funded by the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy. Funding reference number: 03EN2031A
As part of a collaboration between Darmstadt Technical University, ÖKOTEC, and various industry partners, the KI4ETA R&D project is exploring the use of new energy technologies and applications.
The project develops solutions for the energy-efficient, flexibly operated, and digitally networked factory of the future. The project team is working to create an integrated, AI-based digital platform. The three-year project is funded by the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy and the Jülich Research Center. Funding reference number: 03SIN522
Head of Energy Markets
“EnEffCo® enables the digital, automated, and cost-efficiency operation of industrial facilities. This provides a basis for robust SWOT analysis – and informed technology investment decisions.”
R&D projects since ÖKOTEC’s founding
- PHI Factory – a collaboration between TU Darmstadt Technical University and industry partners, with funding from the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Technology (2017–2020)
- Co2realtime – techniques for measuring real-time carbon footprints, undertaken together with CO2online and Speira (formerly Hydro), with funding from Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU); funding reference number: AZ33355 (2017–2020)
- EnEffReg® – a collaboration between Fraunhofer IPK and industry partners, with funding from the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy (2016–2019)
- WindNODE – a project undertaken with various association partners, with funding from by the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Technology (2016–2019)
- Quality Assurance in Energy Consulting to Industry – a project involving the DENEFF and Fraunhofer IPK, with funding from Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU) (2013–2014)
- The Standardization of Indicator Methods – a project undertaken with Fraunhofer ISI and DENEFF, with funding from the Ministry of the Environment (2013–2014)
- Thirty pilot networks – implemented in collaboration with Fraunhofer ISI, Modell Hohenlohe, Eproplan, and IREES, with funding from the Ministry of the Environment (2009–2013)
- Energy Efficiency Controlling in the Automotive Industry – with funding received from the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Technology (2009–2012)
- The Development of Energy Efficiency Indicators – with funding received from Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU) (2004–2007)
- Energy Systems Monitoring in SMEs – with funding from Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU) (2004–2009)
Optimized operation of energy generation plants
The ETA factory
EnEffCo® has been the centerpiece of flexible power-utility operations at the ETA pilot factory since 2017. Enabled with funding from the German Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy, the PHI Factory project features the integrated monitoring of over 2,000 meter points.
Energy-efficiency in the intelligent factory with EnEffReg
(This video is available in German)
Our projects in the media and downloads
R&D project News
ÖKOTEC experts Knut Grabowski and Georg Ratjen explain what is meant by a pinch analysis and how they are developing it further in the current R&D project Food Pinch in an interview with the trade magazine DLG.
Our EnEffReg research project has confirmed: Intelligent and automatic plant control with EnEffReg is possible. The software-based system continuously monitors plants for energy efficiency. Learn more in our short film.