Temporary subsidies for increased natural gas and electricity prices
Energy cost containment program launched
Since July 15, 2022, energy-intensive and trade-intensive companies have been able to apply to the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) for a subsidy on their natural gas and electricity costs. The basis is the Directive on the Energy Cost Reduction Program from the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Climate Protection (BMWK).
The aim is to support companies that are particularly hard hit by high energy prices as a result of the Russian war of aggression on Ukraine. Companies in the eligible sectors within the European Union* are eligible to apply. Applications must be submitted via BAFA’s online portal by December 30, 2022.
The program allows affected companies to apply for a grant to cover energy costs from February 2022 to December 2022. For eligibility and application, the following must be taken into account.
- Energy and electricity costs must be above 3% of production value (sales and goods for resale) and, if applicable, the operating loss
- Energies taken into account: energy for heating and stationary motors + electricity
- Eligible costs: additional costs, which are twice as high as in the same month in the previous year
- Grants will be paid at the cost of natural gas and electricity in three stages from February to December 2022
- Grant rates are 20-30%, 40-50%, or 60-70%, depending on the grant category per month
- The subsidy levels differ according to the economic sector of the company, the subsidy rate, the maximum amounts and any operating loss, among other factors
- The subsidy is capped at 50 million euros per company.
* Lists see leaflet (industries correspond to the known lists at the EEG).
- The BAFA website contains all information on the program and templates for the documents (available in German)
- The fact sheet lists all documents to be submitted and includes details on eligibility requirements and industry lists (available in German)
- The application takes place exclusively online (in German)