Bayer Pharma AG
EnEffReg® for ventilation systems
Bayer AG (Pharmaceuticals Division) at the Berlin site has commissioned ÖKOTEC with the continuous evaluation and control according to efficiency criteria for four laboratory ventilation systems in building S149. After the introduction and start of the test phase of EnEffReg® in 2020, EnEffReg® is in continuous operation since 2022. The roll-out for further buildings is planned.
Bayer’s Berlin plant (Pharmaceuticals Division) was looking for a software solution to unlock the efficiency potential of its laboratory ventilation systems.
Solution and Implementation
- The Berlin technical team of Bayer AG (Pharmaceuticals Division) worked with ÖKOTEC to continuously evaluate four AHUs of the laboratory building S149 to control set points depending on efficiency criteria
- Measurements of steam usage, cooling water, heating water and electric power were set up along with a control interface
- The parameters of the AHUs are adjusted to operate efficiently during air conditioning, thus creating minimal energy costs and lower CO2 emissions
- Efficient plant settings are identified and recalled by the EnEffReg® algorithms for the appropriate operating times
- ÖKOTEC implemented automatic control systems to select the best performing algorithms
- Transparency of energy consumption: For each AHU, the humidification components, heat recovery, heating and cooling coils are checked using energy consumption monitoring and analysis
- Transparency of savings: Compared to the baseline of the reference year, 18 % of energy costs are saved annually
- Savings during the implementation phase: Steam 860 MWh per year, 38 %; Cooling 128 MWh per year, 29 %; Heat 79 MWh per year, 11 %;
- Sustainability: The annual amount of CO2 saved thereby was calculated as 246 tCO2 equivalents, 27 %/a