Urban Waste Management
Berliner Stadtreinigung (BSR)
Establishment of an intelligent charging infrastructure
The Berliner Stadtreinigung implemented flexible charging of the e-vehicle fleet. EnEffCo® has been used for this at 82 charging points since 2018. The project was implemented as part of the WindNODE (03SIN522) and Clean Air (01MZ18001) funding programs.
With some 5,600 employees, BSR provides for urban waste disposal and recycling, clean streets, and traffic safety. The company’s innovation and sustainability strategy focuses on efficient operations, low fees, and ecological and social responsibility. BSR was in need of a charging infrastructure solution for its electric vehicle fleet, which is currently under expansion. In addition to taking the requirements of the energy transition into account, this solution would need to be future-oriented, cost-optimized, and consider all usage requirements of the EV-fleet.
Solution and Implementation
- ÖKOTEC developed a flexibility concept for the software-based automated charging of the e-vehicle fleet.
- An optimized charging process: Vehicle charging is emphasized when there is surplus of renewable electricity in the grid, and the costs of electricity generation are minimal.
- The solution is based on EnEffCo®, ÖKOTEC’s energy efficiency monitoring and optimization software.
- New flexible utility service plans: Receive direct compensation from the power provider when consuming electricity flexibly.
- Integration with ERP (SAP): Automated integration of fleet-related disposition requirements.
- Infrastructure: Current scope: 90 electric vehicles and 82 charging stations at 7 locations; additional expansion planned; optimization is fully automated.
- Procurement cost benefits: Approx. 16 % per MWh, and further increases are expected in the future.
- A real contribution to the energy transition: Thanks to the mobilization of latent flexibility related to vehicle charging.