Food + Beverages
Ornua Deutschland GmbH
Load Management Refrigeration Systems
The German distribution hub of Irish dairy products cooperative uses EnEffCo® since 2016. Thanks to an integrated energy monitoring and load management solution, Ornua continuously improve operations and achieve cost savings.
Ornua Deutschland GmbH is a fully owned subsidiary of the Irish agri-food cooperative Ornua (which is most well known for Kerrygold Butter). At the company’s German distribution hub just north of Düsseldorf, refrigeration systems ensure dairy products are stored at legally required temperatures. Ambient weather conditions are a major driver of refrigeration energy demand; during hot days, demand spikes previously led to considerable declines in system efficiency. Ornua selected EnEffCo® to address this problem while simultaneously introducing an ISO 50001 energy monitoring solution.
- The implementation of the EnEffCo® energy monitoring solution included the development of demand forecasts in 15 min intervals and an associated load shedding strategy.
- Two stage control signals shut down expansion valves in cold storage evaporators.
- Monitoring of current and target temperatures in cold storage rooms.
- Needs based management of deep-freezing and normal refrigeration
- Cost savings: Lower electricity expenses
- Intelligent load management: Refrigeration systems can be individually managed and configured according to needs (e.g., based on high demand windows).
- Integrated systems control: Automated control of several cooling systems (via expansion valves) in accordance with targeted time strategies.
- Quality assurance: Monitoring of cooling systems and operational requirements (e.g., legally mandated temperatures), including possibility of manual override and alternative operational procedures.
- Transparency: Reporting system provides visualization of site operations